"No! No! No!" I sat across from Ibrahim as he became more and more frustrated. I felt hopeless. I wanted to help him. I wanted to give him the answer, but I couldn't. This was a test. All I could do was try to explain again that he needed to find the words from the reading that were in the "present continuous tense".
As Ibrahim became frustrated to the point of tears, I saw myself in him. My memory brought me back to countless times when I would cry over school work, frustrated at myself for not understanding, for feeling stupid, for feeling defeated and worthless compared to my classmates, who seemed to receive good grades effortlessly.
For years, due to a speech impediment, I struggled in school. Whenever it was time for English or reading or spelling lessons, I would leave my classroom, leave behind all my "normal" and "smart" classmates, to work with a speech specialist. We would work for hours, both in school and private lessons at home, to help me understand how different letters work together to form different sounds, and how those sounds form words. As a young child, every part of my life seemed to be affected by my speech impediment.
It was in preschool when my parents realized how important it was to get me help. During a typical parent/teacher conference, my teacher told my parents how deeply my speech impediment was affecting my life. She said the other students couldn't understand me and therefore, I was slowly becoming more and more isolated from my peers. My parents saw how this was affecting my ability to communicate and make friends. Thus began a long road of meeting with speech therapists and reading specialists.
Now, two years out of earning a Bachelors degree from
1. I had parents that cared deeply for my development both academically and socially that they made great efforts to get me the support and assistance I needed.
2. I went to a school where the resources were available. There are many public schools around the world which are not equipped to help students with different learning disorders, whatever it may be.
The school where I work here in Jordan, Arab Episcopal School, works to bring resources and specialized education to students who are unable to receive those things in their local public schools. AES's mission is to integrate visually impaired students with sighted students. They attempt to bring specialized education to visually impaired students in northern
My bosses, Rev. Samir and
Although I can not give Ibrahim the answers on tests, I can take the time to work with him and let him know that he is valuable and that people care about him. I hope that I'm able to build some confidence in Ibrahim and the other students I am blessed to work with each day.
No comments:
Post a Comment